Not every town gets reborn as many times as Newcomb has. The area was historically claimed by both Iroquois and Algonquin tribes until it was settled around 1816. Then it occupied the frontier between colonial New York and New France, functioning as a lumber town until large iron ore deposits were discovered nearby in 1826. This led to the creation of the mining community of Adirondac, also known as "The Upper Works." The mine closed and so did the village, although a new community, Tahawus, later sprang up about a mile down the road to mine lead. That too eventually ended and Tahawus is now a famous ghost town.
Newcomb is a gorgeous place. It is home to Camp Santanoni Preserve, one of the famous Great Camps, which is now kept in a historically accurate condition as a giant museum. It is a fine destination for year-round recreation, and there are many fun events held there that are targeted at both adventurers and families.
Another fine option for exploring is the Adirondack Interpretive Center at Newcomb. The 236-acre property has 3.6 miles of trails, complete with interpretive signage, gazebos, bridges, and scenic outlook stations. These trails are open year-round, and they're groomed in the winter. No snowshoes? No problem! They can be rented on site.
Paddling and fishing are popular, with a lot of great places on Balfour Lake, Rich Lake, Harris Lake, and the Boreas River. Newcomb Lake has a lovely town beach with a snack shack in the summer.
Newcomb is also an incredible place to go biking or scenic touring, especially with the historic Teddy's Trail. The town annually celebrates Teddy Roosevelt Weekend, commemorating then-vice president Teddy Roosevelt's midnight ride to catch a train to where he would be sworn in as president after the death of William McKinley in 1901.
5639 Route 28N, P.O. Box 405
Newcomb, NY 12852
Phone: (518) 582-3791
Fax: (518) 582-2061