18th Regiment Encampment Weekend
The Town of Newcomb will be holding a captivating weekend of history, camaraderie, and education as they delve into the deep roots of the town's history. This event promises to be an enlightening experience for all ages, offering a unique opportunity to step back in time and witness the past come alive. Please note that this event is not a reenactment with battles but rather an informative and educational weekend.
- Set up camp: Our dedicated members of the 118th Regiment will begin their encampment, creating an authentic atmosphere that transports you to a bygone era.
- Visit/Chat: All ages are welcome to engage in enlightening conversations with our knowledgeable reenactors. Kids from NCS (Newcomb Central School) will be there.
- Campfires - Q&A: Join us around the campfires for a cozy evening of question and answer sessions, where you can learn more about the history of the 118th Regiment.
- 118th members in Full Dress: Experience the grandeur of the 118th Regiment as its members don their full military dress, complete with authentic details and historical accuracy.
- Morning Colors/Breakfast at Camp: Start your day by witnessing the rising of the morning colors and enjoying a hearty breakfast at the camp.
- Ceremony - Roll Call of the Dead: Pay tribute to the fallen heroes with a solemn ceremony. The infantry will be in full dress uniforms, and the artillery will perform a firing demonstration. Names of the deceased will be read alongside a brief history.
- Music/Violinist: Immerse yourself in the music of the era with a live violinist, creating a captivating atmosphere.
- Morning Arms: Get up close with the weapons and equipment used by the 118th Regiment during the Civil War.
- Candlelight Walk: As the sun sets, take a candlelit stroll through the encampment. Multiple stations will be set up throughout the camp, providing opportunities for insightful discussions at each station.
- People meet at artillery pieces: After completing the station visits, gather around the artillery pieces for a unique night firing demonstration that promises to be both exciting and educational.
- Open Camp until early afternoon: The encampment remains open for exploration and further interactions until early afternoon, allowing you to absorb the history and engage with the members of the 118th Regiment.
Don't miss this chance to step back in time and gain a deeper understanding of our region's history and the brave soldiers of the 118th Regiment. This event promises to be a weekend of enlightenment and a unique opportunity to connect with the past.