Last day to complete the 2020 Census
- Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 12:00am
Please help us collect data for Essex County so that we are all represented accurately at the federal level
Essex County is lagging in our response to the 2020 Census. In 2010, Essex County had a 51.5% response rate for the US Census. As of Monday, October 12, Essex County only has a 41.8% response rate.
Getting a complete and accurate count of our total population will have a lasting impact for the next 10 years.
- Federal funding – money allocated for schools, healthcare facilities, roads, public works and other vital programs here in Essex County is based on total population.
- Federal representation – the number of our state’s congressional representatives is based on population. During the 2010 census, NYS lost two seats…two fewer voices to advocate for the needs of the North Country region.
- Local government efficiency – budgets and planning at the local level, for roads, schools, emergency services and other important public services, are more effective when based on accurate statistics.
- Federal grant opportunities – access to various federal and state grant and loan opportunities relies heavily upon population data and socioeconomic data that is collected through the Census and accuracy is crucial!
The Census affects ALL OF US, regardless of age, race, culture, and ethnicity.
Respond to the Census by:
Completing the Census is PRIVATE, SAFE, EASY & EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.